Thursday, April 28, 2011

Crossing #23 off the list

Pin It
If you had any doubt about how long I can delay on doing something, this picture below should put your mind at ease, or maybe that should be unease at how I can get so little done and yet not have a job.


That is a picture of my messy desk.  It's also a picture of my old computer tower.  We bought two new computer towers back in October (!!) and that old one has been sitting there ever since.  Shameful, I know.  I just couldn't bring myself to go through it.  I did initially copy off photos onto a few usb sticks but that's as far as I got.

I bought that computer, the second computer I've ever owned, right after Blade was born.  Seven years.  The thing is practically ready for the museum!  It has on it all my old Christmas letters, my labels, all my old videos and pictures, stories Clayton wrote for school, my brother's old resumes and cover letters, you name it, it's on there.  I actually toyed with the idea of not getting rid of it, of getting another monitor and moving it upstairs with a printer to be my offline work spot.  Which is my defense for not getting rid of it by now.  I was still debating if I wanted to keep it.  Turns out I haven't turned it on or hooked it up to the monitor since I got my new one!  So if I haven't even used the thing in the last 6 months, I don't think I need to keep it. 

I didn't want to deal with it in the basement though.  Ugh.  It just seemed like I would be sitting down to waste time on the computer.  *ahem* not like I ever do that.  Ha.  So I had Ryan haul it upstairs to the kitchen table as well as my monitor.  Did you know I could have done that myself?  Of course I could have, but this way I got to delay the rest of the afternoon too!  Sitting it on the table where we were going to need to eat in an hour or so made me get through the files and double check I had all the pictures off of it, delete all my documents and reformat it.  It also gave me a chance to see how dirty my screen is.....


Ayayayaye  and that's not even a good picture of all the finger prints!  I'd like to say I've cleaned it by now, but I'm pretty sure Ryan just moved it back downstairs and hooked it up again without wiping it.  You can't notice the prints when the screen isn't black I swear! (perhaps I'll do that right now so I can say I did something today besides waste time at my computer....)

The tower is at the front door now.  Destination: a) one of Clayton's friends b) one of those people who uses old computers for parts or c) the recycle area at the dump.  Check back in 6 months to see if it's moved yet.

My desk is now noticeably emptier and it's making me feel inspired to get on making that desk out of the old door we brought home from Dad's back in October.  It's Canada. It was cold all winter. We don't have a garage. Three reasons why it's still sitting in my basement needing paint and cutting.  The fourth reason is of course that why do it today when I can delay for a few months.

This weekend it may get done in the nice weather.  Except the weather is inspiring the kids too, and they want to make a trip to Grandpa's to play.  I can't argue with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! But being Canadian, I also love politeness!! So let's play nice hmmm?