Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Messy Secret

Pin It
We all have one.

Even if we say we don't.

Junk drawers.

Seriously, I don't need half the stuff in my junk drawer but I can't seem to throw out that stereo connector that I have no idea where I got it from or when I would use it.  Not to mention the four spare bulbs for my outside lights and the roll of magnetic tape....

Look.  This is the stuff I'm talking about.


Ya, I don't really see anything worth keeping in there either!

I go through this drawer of mine, probably every two months and throw out stuff that seems to multiply in the dark when you close it.  It even has migrated to another drawer in the kitchen, but that's junk for another day!  Besides, that old dog collar and dog records have to hang out somewhere right? Might as well be with some batteries and old candles.

Anyways. I digress.

I was browsing online, looking through blogs one day, when I seen a picture for a really nice wooden drawer organizer.  I wish I could remember which blog I seen it on. 

Now sure, you can go to the store and buy one, but what fun would that be?  Plus, most of those organizers don't fit exactly to your drawers.  But I figured, after looking at that picture, that we could just make a customized one instead!  And when I say we, of course I mostly mean Ryan. 

Hey now, I drew out the plans!

Thing of beauty, ain't it?

I also did all the fun stuff. The shopping!  I went to Michael's and picked out some pretty paper for the bottom of the drawer organizer and bought some moulding at HD.

We had left over back board from the buffet drawer, and while it wasn't exactly big enough, Ryan cut another piece to go on the end. I duct taped the back of it to hold it all together and then prepared to Mod Podge the paper onto the front of it. 

Disclaimer: I have never used MP before, ever.  I'm pretty sure I did it wrong.  Only I could screw up glue.

Ahem.  Moving on.

Supplies out and ready.



Time to screw up glue. I mean, attach the paper to the board.  Apparently, you are supposed to glue the back, let it dry, then put more on top.  Let's just say, no one will ever see the bubbles I have in my liner, since they will be under JUNK anyways.  Whew.

You can also see that, obviously, my paper wasn't as big
as the bottom of the drawer.  I wasn't even worried about
matching up the flower pattern as I knew it would be mostly
covered by the wood organizer anyways.

While I was gluing, Ryan was outside cutting the moulding and cursing just a little I'm sure.  After a few false starts, in which he blamed my drawing I think, the wood was together, glued and nailed, and ready to be stained.

Drying, almost ready to be put together.

Here she is, all put together! Space for my cheques, pens, pencils, paper, scissors, cutter and other miscellaneous stuff.


A look before at the drawer  and with the organizer in spot.


I know, right?!  I told Ryan I need one for my silverware now...


Did I mention as he was building this one, he said, never again??!

4 comments:

  1. You are a brave woman for photographing the junk! (Please don't make me do the same!) Proposed solution - a huge game of Pass-the-Parcel with junk drawers. I bet I could be pretty ruthless with your stereo connectors (and vice versa).

    That's so fantastic! (Suck it, Ikea!) Can you give us a total $ figure for all the supplies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Augh, that junk! It is the bane of my existence!!

    As for supplies:
    2 Floral Pages from Michael's $3.38
    19 Feet of moulding from HD $30.00
    big jar of Mod Podge was $9.00 or so
    backboard was left over from the buffet
    Leftover stain from the bathroom/basement reno

    So technically about $40 bucks, but I still have a whole bunch of MP, and there is left over moulding. I only bought 19ft of it because, of course, there was no one in HD to cut the long piece down. Why would there be anyone just roaming the aisles waiting to help you??

    Ah well, just think, I may have enough to get started on my silverware drawer too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great; I can't see any bubbles!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! It's so covered in junk, I mean, Important-stuff-I-must-keep, that you can't see the paper most of the time, let alone any wrinkles! I love the fit of it. No more loose boxes floating around in a sea of junk!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! But being Canadian, I also love politeness!! So let's play nice hmmm?