Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Welcome to my CRIB

Pin It
Literally.



Ok, not really.  But that was my initial feeling after we installed the new hand railing on our front step.

For those who don't know, my grandma recently moved in with us, while she awaits a room at the lodge.

Our lot has kindly sank around the house.  It's our own little sink hole! Woot! 

Anyways.  It resulted in our sidewalk dropping 3 inches over 6 years, but not our cement step.  The step is connected to the house.  Step stayed stationary, sidewalk dropped.

Nice.

Anywho, back to the fascinating story of my new crib. 

Grandma needed a railing to get down the steps (esp as the last step was turning out to be a BIG one).  We were alright going up and down but not so much 84 year old knees and declining balance. 

So we went to Totem. I picked out a railing.  Ryan spent a frustrating day and a half fighting rain, broken drill bits, shoddy instructions (and the lack of them), multiple trips back to the hardware store just to get this easy 1-2-3 railing up!  Okay, in defense of this actually very lovely railing, it would have been as easy as 1-2-3 installed on to a wood step.  Into a cement step with rocks in the concrete, not so much. And since we were only going down one step, because we didn't want to attach to the sinking sidewalk, it was a pretty steep and short incline for the railing which sort of null and voided the instructions on where to put the top and bottom rails. 

Ryan is glad it is done. Enough said.

Here's a look from the front.


Don't mind the sinking sidewalk!



Now the question on my mind is...should we put another rail on the opposite side??

I'm not in love with the railing.  Mostly because I don't want to be.  We have never wished we had a railing in the 6 years we have lived here.  I still didn't wish for one. 

Waah waah cry cry.

I know.
 
I'm over it. 

Truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! But being Canadian, I also love politeness!! So let's play nice hmmm?