3 med potatoes
1 cup of carrots, thinly sliced or chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas or corn (optional)
1/2 pkg of bacon, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp. of flour, divided
6 cups of chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt and pepper
2 cups of milk
- Scrub, pierce and microwave potatoes until tender. In small pot, cook carrots and/or peas/corn until tender.
- Meanwhile, in large dutch oven or pot, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towel with slotted spoon. Saute celery and onion in leftover drippings until tender.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of flour, cook and stir until browned.
- Gradually stir in broth. Bring to boil and add salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl or shaker, mix the remaining flour with milk until smooth; add to the pot.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Peel and cube potatoes; add to soup along with the other vegetables. Add bacon. Cook and stir until heated through.
Make a batch of Grandma's Cream Scones to go with it!
- Sometimes I drain the carrots etc, sometimes I just add all the water to the pot, depends on how thick it looks and how much water is left.
- I cook the carrots in a small pot separately for about 5-8 minutes until mostly done, and then add the frozen vegetable right on top. Bring back to a boil and add to the soup when done.
- To make less soup, don't add as much broth.
- You can always thicken it with some cornstarch mixed with water, or thin it by adding more broth or water as well.
- Test that bacon out while it cools, waiting to go into the soup. I mean, you wouldn't want to wreck the awesome soup by not pre-tasting the bacon.......